Orlando Pirates Head Coach Jose Riveiro To Leave At The End Of The Season

orlando pirates head coach jose riveiro to leave at the end of the season

Orlando Pirates head coach Jose Riveiro has opted not to renew his contract with the South African Premier Soccer League PSL giants and will step down at the end of the season.

The club confirmed the news in a statement on Thursday 3 April.

Jose Riveiro walks away from Orlando Pirates

The 47-year-old Spanish tacticians contract was set to expire at the end of the 2024/2025 season. However, he has informed the Buccaneers management of his decision not to renew it.

While we would have liked Jose to extend his stay with us, at the same time, we fully respect his decision. We are grateful for everything he has done for the Club," chairman Dr. Irvin Khoza said.

"The achievements of the intervening years speak for themselves. The joy that Jose and his support staff have brought to this Club will never be forgotten.

Riveiro joined Orlando Pirates in June 2022 and has led the club to multiple silverware during his three- year stint, starting with the 2022 MTN 8 League Cup and 2022/2023 Nedbank Cup.

In his first season, the Bucs finished second in the PSL and qualified for the Confederation of African Football CAF Champions League.

Riveiro also became the first coach to win the MTN 8 three times in a row in 2024. Pirates defended the Nedbank Cup in the 2023/2024 season after beating Mamelodi Sundowns in the final.

So far, he has a record of 121 games with Pirates. He has won 77, drawn 20 and lost 24.

"We appreciate the three years of service that Jose has given this institution and fully support his decision. Wherever his journey takes him, he must know that the Orlando Pirates family will always be behind him, Khoza said.